The Partnership Builds on Cascade Energy's Previous Work Providing Energy Management Services to OSI's Oakland, Iowa Food Processing Facility
We’re thrilled to be working with OSI, a world leader in providing quality products and custom solutions for the food industry, as they expand their energy management program into five facilities. We started working with OSI in 2013, with a single pilot program at their Oakland, IA facility. The program involved:
- Setting up an energy measurement, tracking, benchmarking, and reporting system.
- Performing a tune up on the facility’s refrigeration, compressed air, and high-pressure water pump systems.
- Delivering a final report and a list of action items to be implemented.
- Engaging OSI site staff to assist with completing the actions on the list.
- Reviewing system performance to drive additional energy savings.
After observing how quickly Cascade’s engineers identified sources of inefficiency during the initial tune up at the plant, OSI Oakland General Manager, Mike Koranda was impressed and decided, “I want our operators and technicians to be able to spot any other possible system inefficiencies and fixes like that!”
Cascade developed a two-day industrial refrigeration best practices training program specifically for the OSI team. The training provided OSI with deeper knowledge of the refrigeration system, and give the team the ability to propose appropriate solutions for their facility.
As of November 2014, OSI Oakland has saved over four million kWh and over $295,000. Based on the success of the training and tune up results at the Oakland plant, OSI is excited to roll out a three-year program to five more facilities in Illinois, Wisconsin and Utah. Cascade and OSI will work together to help meet OSI’s companywide goal of 10% energy intensity reduction by 2020.
OSI will focus on developing: executive support and commitment, site-specific energy goals, dedicated roles and responsibilities for program implementation at each site, and program performance monitoring through energy key performance indicators.
- Cascade will provide support for the program in the form of:
- Onsite energy efficiency tune-ups that identify and implement low/no-cost energy savings opportunities
- Training on refrigeration system best practices
- Cascade’s proprietary energy management information software, SENSEI
- Technical support over the three-year program to help facilitate continuous improvement
“OSI is taking an aggressive and comprehensive approach to energy management,” said Cascade CEO Marcus Wilcox. “We are excited to build on the success of the Oakland facility, and look forward to our continued partnership, working side-by-side with the OSI team, to strategically manage energy costs.”